This week's light reading:
- Jan Glete, War and the State in Early Modern Europe: Spain, the Dutch Republic and Sweden as Fiscal-Military States, 1500-1660.
- Brian M. Dowling, The Military Revolution and Political Change: Origins of Democracy and Autocracy in Early Modern Europe.
- William H. McNeill, The Pursuit of Power: Technology, Armed Force, and Society since A.D. 1000.
- Judith Butler, Gender Trouble.
- Philip Caputo, A Rumor of War.
- Le Ly Hayslip, When Heaven and Earth Changed Places: A Vietnamese Woman's Journey from War to Peace.
- Ronald J. Glasser, 365 Days.